Community Read Brunch with Jewish Book Council author Ron Florence
Sunday, March 26
10:30am Brunch & 11:00am Speaker
Dwares JCC Board Room
401 Elmgrove Avenue, Providence
Free for participants in the initiative who have committed to reading a non-fiction book of Jewish content
Join us for the culminating event of our Jewish book initiative. Novelist and historian Ron Florence will discuss his book Lawrence and Aaronsohn: T. E. Lawrence, Aaron Aaronsohn, and the Seeds of the Arab-Israeli Conflict. Copies of the book will be sold in advance and at the door. Additionally, participants in the book initiative will be recognized during the brunch.
Click here for a list of non-fiction books compiled by local educators and Rabbis.
What are people are reading?
- Robin Hommonoff (Reading with Robin) recommends Let There Be Laughter: A Treasury of Great Jewish Humor And What It All Means by Michael Krasny — Sharon Gaines is also reading this book!
- Judge Richard Licht is reading The Siege: The Saga of Israel and Zionism by Conor Cruise O’Brien
- Mitzi Berkelhammer is reading Stars of David: Prominent Jews Talk About Being Jewish
- Donald and Bonnie Dwares are reading Judaism’s Ten Best Ideas by Rabbi Arthur Green
- Alice and Sid Goldstein are reading Not in God’s Name by Rabbi Jonathan Sacks
- Capt. Gilor Meshulam recommends 1948: A History of the First Arab-Israeli War by Benny Morris
- Jeffrey Savit is reading In The Garden of Beasts by Erik Larsen
- Rabbi Wayne Franklin is reading Jewish Honor Courts: Revenge, Retribution, and Reconciliation in Europe and Israel after the Holocaust, Edited by Laura Jockusch and Gabriel N. Finder
- Larry Katz recommends Kosher USA: How Coke Became Kosher and Other Tales of Modern Food by Roger Horowitz
- Rabbi Alvan Kaunfer is reading Bible and Midrash: The Story of the Wooing of Rebekah by Lieve Teugels
- Miriam Esther Weiner is reading The Power to Give In by Rabbi Moshe Rockove
Looking for more ideas? Check out the Jewish Book Council website—just remember, our focus is on non-fiction books!
This Jewish community learning experience is brought to you by:
Jewish Alliance of Greater Rhode Island
Board of Rabbis of Greater Rhode Island
Kollel: Center for Jewish Studies
PJ Library & PJ Our Way